So the weather here in good old Ohio went from like 1000000+ to cold and rainy literally OVERNIGHT. 🙃🙃🙃When I saw that the forecast showed cold, grey, rain, and nasty on repeat for the weekend I decided to whip up a favorite cold weather recipe at our house – Crock Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup!
Here is what you need:
- 2-3 Chicken Breasts
- 1 32 oz. Carton of Chicken Broth (Simple Truth Chicken Brother is 50 cents off at Kroger right now!)
- 2 Original Velveeta Mini Blocks
- 2 10 oz. cans of Diced Tomatoes & Green Chiles
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped orange bell pepper
- 1/4 cup diced jalapeno pepper (I left these out of the crock pot and just added it to the individual bowls – like mine – who wanted a little more spice!)
- 1 TBSP. taco seasoning
- Fresh Cilantro
And for the toppings you will need:
- Corn Tortillas
- Olive Oil
- Sour Cream
- Shredded Cheese
- Fresh Cilantro
You can set your crock pot to either high for 4 hours or low for 8 hours depending on when you remember this is what you are cooking for dinner that night and how much time you have 😂😂😂.
- Spray Crock Pot with non-stick spray or use a slow cooker liner.
- Place chicken breasts in bottom of crock pot and cover with chicken broth.
- Chop 2 Original Velveeta Mini Blocks in cubes and place in crock pot.
- Add the diced tomatoes & green chiles, diced onion, chopped bell peppers, diced jalapeno (if you are adding this to the crock pot, otherwise leave to the side as a topping!) taco seasoning, and as much fresh cilantro as you’d like!
- Towards the end of your 4 or 8 hours, take the chicken out and shred it up! With the chicken to the side, give the soup a really good stir to make sure everything is combined perfectly! Add your chicken back in, turn you crock pot to warm and prepare the toppings!
*Side note* As you know, with crock pots you pretty much just let them do their thing. But this soup needs to be stirred every once in a while, while it is cooking. Those Velveeta Mini Blocks are the reason behind this, haha! They need to be stirred as they melt down so the soup becomes one delicious, cheesy meal!
As for the toppings…
- Preheat your oven to 375.
- Cut 4-6 corn tortillas into strips
- Drizzle with Olive Oil
- Sprinkle with Salt
- Bake for 10-15 min until strips are crrrrrrrrrrisspy!
Pour into individual bowls and top with avocado, the corn tortilla strips, sour cream, cheese and more cilantro!