So the weather here in good old Ohio went from like 1000000+ to cold and rainy literally OVERNIGHT. 🙃🙃🙃When I saw that the forecast showed cold, grey, rain, and nasty on repeat for the weekend I decided to whip up a favorite cold weather recipe at our house – Crock Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup!
Here is what you need:
- 2-3 Chicken Breasts
- 1 32 oz. Carton of Chicken Broth (Simple Truth Chicken Brother is 50 cents off at Kroger right now!)
- 2 Original Velveeta Mini Blocks
- 2 10 oz. cans of Diced Tomatoes & Green Chiles
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped orange bell pepper
- 1/4 cup diced jalapeno pepper (I left these out of the crock pot and just added it to the individual bowls – like mine – who wanted a little more spice!)
- 1 TBSP. taco seasoning
- Fresh Cilantro
And for the toppings you will need:
- Corn Tortillas
- Olive Oil
- Sour Cream
- Shredded Cheese
- Fresh Cilantro
You can set your crock pot to either high for 4 hours or low for 8 hours depending on when you remember this is what you are cooking for dinner that night and how much time you have 😂😂😂.
- Spray Crock Pot with non-stick spray or use a slow cooker liner.
- Place chicken breasts in bottom of crock pot and cover with chicken broth.
- Chop 2 Original Velveeta Mini Blocks in cubes and place in crock pot.
- Add the diced tomatoes & green chiles, diced onion, chopped bell peppers, diced jalapeno (if you are adding this to the crock pot, otherwise leave to the side as a topping!) taco seasoning, and as much fresh cilantro as you’d like!
- Towards the end of your 4 or 8 hours, take the chicken out and shred it up! With the chicken to the side, give the soup a really good stir to make sure everything is combined perfectly! Add your chicken back in, turn you crock pot to warm and prepare the toppings!
*Side note* As you know, with crock pots you pretty much just let them do their thing. But this soup needs to be stirred every once in a while, while it is cooking. Those Velveeta Mini Blocks are the reason behind this, haha! They need to be stirred as they melt down so the soup becomes one delicious, cheesy meal!
As for the toppings…
- Preheat your oven to 375.
- Cut 4-6 corn tortillas into strips
- Drizzle with Olive Oil
- Sprinkle with Salt
- Bake for 10-15 min until strips are crrrrrrrrrrisspy!
Pour into individual bowls and top with avocado, the corn tortilla strips, sour cream, cheese and more cilantro!
Just look at this…this glorious millennial pink (see, I’m cool I said millennial😜😆) water bottle. Is it just a water bottle, though, or is it magic? This, my friends, is the S’ip by S’well Water Bottle. You’ve probably seen these everywhere lately – including those end caps at Target that just call your name as you walk by. You might jump back when you see the $19.99 price tag (and that is on the LOWER end of the price point for these bad boys). They range from $14.99-$34.99 depending on amount of oz. held, pattern, type of container, etc. S’well offers kid sized water bottles, travel mugs, different sizes of water bottles – all promising to be vacuum sealed and double walled to keep the temperature of your beverage inside the bottle and not sweating on the outside of it.
Who likes picking up a water bottle that is wet on the outside, am I right?! Not this girl 🙅♀️🙅♀️
So is $20 for something that holds 15oz. of water at a time worth it? (For clarification, I’m going to focus on does it deliver on its promises given the high price tag 😏😏 Obviously the benefits of using a reusable water bottle in terms of the environment go without saying.) So let’s test it out:
7 AM: Filled this puppy up with ICE COLD water. Like freezing cold water. Then I added more ice on the top. Just to be, you know, thorough. 😎
9 AM: Checked on it – no sweating on the outside; ice was still solid on the inside.
11 AM: Checked again – SAME RESULTS. HOW HAS THE ICE NOT MELTED??
1 PM: Took a little sip from my S’ip – water was ice ice cold but there was no sweat on the outside of the bottle.
3 PM: Still. No. Sweat. Water. Was. Still. Cold. HOW??
5 PM: THIS IS SORCERY!!! *Drinks all the water just to end the madness*
I have to say I’ve never been, you know, impressed by a water bottle until now. This S’ip Bottle is my new jaaaaaaaaaam 👏👏👏 I love how the water stayed cold literally ALL DAY but the bottle never felt sweaty! I’ve decided it has to be some sort of magic. And while $20 does seem like a lot upfront I think that might help me drink more water 😂 Like GIRLFRIEND, this thing was $20 you are going to USE IT!
Here is the link to the S’ip by S’well website where you can check out all the different types/patterns/styles of bottles and mugs! Definitely worth the $$$, in my opinion😉.
I’m sure you have all seen those super interesting-looking facial sheet masks around. For a while I buzzed right by them in Target or…well actually no where else because we all know I truly only shop at Target 😂!
ANYWAY, I finally got the chance (or maybe the courage, haha) to try facial sheet masks by Miss Spa. This particular brand has a whopping 18 different formulas for sheet masks. So any type of skin problem you may be having – Miss Spa has a sheet mask for it! You can find these in the beauty section of Target and they range in price from $.99-$3.99. Each individual pack comes with 1 facial sheet mask.
BONUS – Target has a sale on these right now: Buy 3 and get 1 FREE💃🏻💃🏻! Here is a link so you can check out the whole lineup: Miss Spa Facial Sheet Masks at Target
I decided to go through the selections and pick 4 that I thought best fit my needs. I chose: Charcoal, Oxygen, 24k Gold (honestly chose this because it made me think of that Bruno Mars song), and Hydrate.
Before I go on to rate the masks listed above, please know I will not be posting pictures of the masks on my face. I planned to…but then I realized in every SINGLE pic I took, I looked like this😳:
Soooooo pictures will not be happening. And even though you may also look like the picture above I think you will find these facial sheet masks to be totally worth it!
– Charcoal ($3.99) This mask was nice! It had a cooling element to it and it promised to detoxify my skin. While it did give me minor breakouts (only 2 visible spots) I was so happy it had pulled the toxins out of my skin! I felt like the slight breakouts I had proved to me that the mask worked. I would definitely recommend the Charcoal mask – and one of my lucky readers will win one! – just be prepared for the potential breakouts that could follow.
– Oxygen ($3.99) Ohhh…..the oxygen mask…..okay so here is the thing. The package mentions “bubbling oxygen.” It. Literally. Bubbles. THE MASK BUBBLES PEOPLE. I mean it was the strangest experience of my life. I put the mask on and there were bubbles/foam/strangeness happening. Not my fave. 🤦🏻♀️🤦🏻♀️🤦🏻♀️
– 24k Gold ($3.99) So, like I said, I tried this one because it reminded me of a Bruno Mars song, and also it promised glowing skin. Glowing skin?! Sign this mama UP! It definitely delivered on its promise to provide glowing skin. My only complaint is the literal gold/shiny residue that it left on my face. Haha so I’m not sure my actual skin was glowing…I think it was more so what the mask left on my face that was glowing, haha. 😜
– Hydrate ($.99) I LOVE this mask…LOVE LOVE LOVE! Okay, so, it is summer and I pile on the sunscreen morning, noon and night. Especially on the weekends when we LIVE at my parents pool! Haha! So my skin has been pretty dry lately. This mask has that same cooling effect that I loved with the Charcoal mask and my skin felt cool, clean and simply amazing after taking this mask off. I. LOVE. IT.
Overall, I think Miss Spa facial sheet masks are great! I would definitely recommend you READ the description on each mask carefully and make sure it is exactly what you want for your skin. But what better way to relax after a hard day with the kids than to put a mini spa treatment on for 20 min?! These will definitely be part of my regular skin care line up!
Let me know in the comments what Miss Spa Facial Sheet Mask interests you (link above!)
Hidden Veggie Spaghetti
- 1 tbs Olive Oil
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- 1/2 pound ground turkey (or 1 pound if you like a meatier sauce)
- 1 chopped bell pepper (any color – whatever is in your fridge! I used green!)
- 1 cup chopped frozen spinach
- 2 chopped Roma tomatoes
- 1 jar of your favorite pasta sauce (we like the Classico Tomato & Basil)
- 1 package Green Giant Zucchini Veggie Spirals (visit link for coupon below!)
- Red Pepper flakes (garnish)
- Grated Parmesan cheese (garnish)
- Pour oil into large skillet on low-med heat. Add the ground turkey, onion and garlic.
- Turn up to med heat and cook the ground turkey all the way through.
- Reduce heat to low-med and add bell pepper and Roma tomatoes. Cook 5-7 min until peppers are soft.
- Add jar of pasta sauce.
- Reduce heat to low, add frozen spinach, and let it simmmmmer!
- (While sauce is simmering…) Boil water in medium sized pot and add Green Giant Zucchini Veggie Spirals. Cook for 3-5 minutes then drain.
- Add Green Giant Zucchini Veggie Spirals to the sauce, stir to combine and you’re done!
- Serve in bowls topped with red pepper flakes and grated Parmesan cheese!
You guys know how the story goes…dinner time rolls around and you are already dreading the bargaining/bribery it could take to make your kids eat anything – especially vegetables! Luckily Camdon likes broccoli and carrots but it is a struggle to get him to branch out! This is where I had the thought that if I could HIDE vegetables in something maybe he would gobble it up with no problem! And thus, Hidden Veggie Spaghetti was born!
But speaking of spaghetti,that can be a tough one in our house. I have Celiac disease and must follow a gluten free diet. But cooking 2 entirely separate pasta dishes seems like a chore (no thank you) and getting my family to eat the sometimes questionable tasting gluten free pastas doesn’t always go over well. So I was completely over the moon when I came upon zoodles! Specifically Green Giant Zucchini Veggie Spirals! These are incredibly easy to prepare, add another vegetable to our line up, let me avoid the whole cooking multiple pasta dishes and are SO much better tasting and easier to digest with a sensitive tummy!
Just look how colorful and delicious the sauce and final product look!:
My family gobbles this up with nooo problem! Camdon even told me “Mommy I want to eat this everyday!!!!!” (Lots of exclamation points because for those of you that know Camdon he is basically a human exclamation point haha!)
Be sure to look for the Green Giant Zucchini Veggie Spirals on your next grocery run!
Veggie Spiral Coupon <—- visit this link to print a coupon for Green Giant Veggie Spirals!
Welcome to Momchella! My name is Megan and I am equal parts excited and nervous about entering the blog world. The goal here is to make being a mom more lighthearted and FUN. As moms we are so hard on ourselves, hard on others, etc. that I feel like some of us have lost sight in what we all have in common: KIDS. Kids always need to be reminded to see the good, the fun, the light in everything! Stressed out mamas = stressed out babies so let’s try to avoid that!
Momchella is going to be all about things, activities, products, suggestions, and more that are centered around making moms and kids have a blast! I’m all about making dinners easier, cleaning faster, and keeping kids entertained. So let’s get to it!
But first…there are a few rules with Momchella. I mean…I’m a mom what did you really expect? OF COURSE there are going to be rules. They are:
- You have to appreciate the overuse of emojis/memes/gifs because… well because I said so!
- You have to accept the fact that I will post recipes at the TOP of blog posts. Forreals. And I will trust that you will read the blog underneath the recipe…please 🙂
- Please understand sarcasm. Seriously. Just do it. I can’t do this if you don’t.
- I WILL TYPE IN ALL CAPS A LOT. I CAN’T HELP IT. THIS ISN’T REALLY A RULE…IT’S MORE OF A WARNING BUT YOU GET THE IDEA.
- Lastly, don’t be a butthead. It’s not a good look.
5 rules seems like enough.
Thank you for taking the time to read this and start the Momchella journey with me! The amount of support and love I have already received has been completely overwhelming – but in the best way possible!
The first blog will go up on Friday and it is about a recipe I like to call “Hidden Veggie Spaghetti” I’ll be making it with Green Giant Zucchini Veggie Spirals and can’t wait to hear what you all think!
xo – Megan